Reading with Your Child
(Adapted from Johnson and Keier's "Catching Readers Before They Fail")
When you think you're done, you've just begun! Get the conversation started.
- After enjoying a book with your child, whether your child reads to you or you read to your child, continue the experience by asking:
- What did you notice about the story?
- Does this book remind you of anything?
- What have you been wondering as you read?
- Does this book make you think of anything else you['ve read?
- What was your favorite part?
- Were there any parts that surprised you?
- What are you going to read next?
MyON supports students at all reading levels as they strive to become successful readers and lifelong learners. MyON has many genres of books availalbe for kids to erad at their reading level.
Meets the student at their level. There are comprehension questions available at the end of each text.
Storyline Online streams videos featuring celebrated actors reading children's books alongside creatively produced illustrations.
Similar to MyON as it offers levelled books and quizzes. There are many genres from which to choose. It includes a Spanish feature. The cost is $7.99 a month.
An interactive website designed to improve elementary students' reading comprehension.
News ELA is a database of current event stoires tailor-made for classroom use.