WHEREAS, the Marion City Schools (MCS) seeks to be a leader in overcoming racial injustice and other forms of discrimination; and
WHEREAS, the mission of MCS is to “inspire a community of achievement” and
WHEREAS, we continue to be mindful of our rich history while acknowledging the American history of racism, slavery, and policies that have negatively impacted the African American community; and
WHEREAS, we believe that racial injustice and other forms of discrimination have become a public health crisis; and
WHEREAS, we recognize that public education can both enhance individuals and strengthen communities; and
WHEREAS, we believe in fostering equity, inclusion, tolerance, dignity, and equal rights for students of color and for ALL students; and
WHEREAS, we believe that ALL people – regardless of their race, color, religion, sex, national origin, ancestry, disability, age, sexual orientation and/or perceived sexual orientation, gender identity, socioeconomic status, or any other individual characteristic deserve to be listened to, respected, and appreciated; and
WHEREAS, through advocacy, community engagement and professional development we seek to overcome social, cultural, and educational barriers that members of our community of color may experience; and
WHEREAS, we believe we must directly confront issues of racism, inequity, and social injustice to alleviate the inequitable practices and outcomes these issues spawn; and
WHEREAS, we believe by working together we can create a more socially just and equitable environment in which to live, work and educate our youth; and
Therefore, BE IT RESOLVED, the Marion City Schools District Board of Education hereby resolves to commit to promote social justice by, among other things,
- Supporting efforts of educators to teach about social injustice and discrimination in all forms about race, ethnicity, culture, gender, gender expression, age, appearance, ability, national origin, language, spiritual belief, sexual orientation, socioeconomic circumstances and environment.
- Listening with the intent to understand how social injustice impacts the lives of those around us.
- Opposing policies that reinforce inequitable learning opportunities or outcomes for students of color and others with special circumstances.
- Advocating for equitable employment and education practices that reinforce dignity, success, and democracy.
- Acknowledging the negative impact that social injustice plays in the experiences of students and adults from all walks of life.
- Admitting that words are no longer sufficient, and that active engagement is required if we are to overcome social injustice in all its forms.